Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Zen Zero


Rachel and I had a grand old time Friday. She decided that she wanted to eat at Zen Zero. On the cover of their menu they call themselves "an Asian noodle shop & restaurant serving cuisine from Nepal, Tibet, Thailand, Vietnam, & Japan." It's located at 811 Mass Street (Massachusetts but everyone just calls it Mass), Lawrence, KS 66044. She's eaten there a lot but I've only been once before. There was a half page of vegetarian options but I chose the Dry Chicken Curry Thakali style which is a traditional Nepalese style curry with onions, ginger, garlic, garam masala, and tomatoes served with jasmine rice, rahar ko dal (yellow lentils) and potate achar. It was quite tasty although to me it tasted more of Indian cuisine. Of course, Nepal and India are in the same corner of the world.




After walking around for awhile we decided to take the plunge and drove into Overland Park (a suburb of Kansas City) to check out the Whole Foods store. Now I know why everyone refers to it as whole paycheck. I could easily have spent $500 there. They had many many raw food books and products. Most of the produce had signs saying they were from local growers. I loved the fruit salads but I checked on a pint container that had blueberries, blackberries, pineapple, and a couple of different melons - over 7 bucks - ouch. I decided that I didn't need fruit salad at that price.




After spending most of the money I had brought with me Rachel wanted to check out Oak Park mall in Overland Park. It wasn't too far from Whole Foods so we used google maps and drove over there. We spent a good two hours just looking around. We checked out Teavana. I really liked the Rooibos Chai. I now wish I'd bought some but I was so shocked at the prices on the cast iron tea pots that I forgot about it.
I have a feeling that we'll be going back to both places. It was a fun day. My mom and I used to have nice days like this and now I know how much she enjoyed them because I know how much I enjoy doing things with Rachel.
More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment