Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Buy local


Food, Inc.

I assumed that the theme for the film was going to be about the cruel way we treat animals who are going to become our food. I get mailings from PETA and have seen the photos of animals cramped into unclean areas, who are hardly able to move, standing ankle deep in their own excrement, and sickened by the food they are given. They are injected with hormones and antibiotics. I work in a hospital and I see what antibiotic resistant bacteria can do to the human body. It isn't pretty.

But the real focus of the film was "big business" and how four companies attempt to control every bite we eat. I threatened to boycott one of the big companies. I won't name them because I don't want to get sued for *definition* of character. My daughter informed me that I would have to give up eating and most other consumables products because the company is involved with everything. The company to which I am referring refused to be interviewed for the film. Paranoia you say? See the movie.

The best review I've read is here on Dori's Shiny Blog.

I'm going to buy as much as I can from local farmers and local companies. Ones that aren't run by the government or big business concerns. I am going to stay away from processed foods as much and as often as I can. The trailer was right -- it will change the way you look at food.

More later...






3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment and yes I have tried and made the Banana Ice cream in my Samson juicer when I put the frozen Banana through the Samson and it creams it, it is very creamy for just Banana but I just wanted to try a different Ice Cream and I have to say I think I prefer the Ice Cream I made in the Ice Cream maker.

    Hey! Great post today. Have you watched 'Food Matters' on DVD? It is brilliant!! EYE OPENING!!!

    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a trailer for Food Matters

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4DOQ6Xhqss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your opinion! Yes, I try to buy local as much as possible, which is great for the animals AND the farmers :)

    ReplyDelete