Tuesday, January 10, 2012

On top of everything else...

I am a type 2 diabetic. I was diagnosed with diabetes around 14 years ago. I have taken various oral medications since then. I took the pills - faithfully but I didn't do much else. I seldom took my BG. I made up the #'s I told my doctor (like he wouldn't be able to tell I was lying from the A1c he was about to have drawn). That was then.

2 years ago I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. This changed my life a lot. I had to go gluten-free and I was good about it. I attended support group meetings and I read all labels before eating anything.

1.5 years ago I had a heart attack.

Now, I am going all out and taking care of my diabetes. I'm testing. I'm eating well. I'm exercising. I'm happy. I found the DOC and I love it here.

More later... I just wanted to give this a start and to come out of the closet with my diabetes.

Thanks for reading.

9 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing some of the details of your health journey, johanna. i really commend you on the positive steps you have taken with taking charge of improving your health - way to go!
    you've already come a long way and i know you have more goals you would like to pursue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story, Johanna. I'm sorry to hear about the heart attack, but am so happy you've found the DOC and are able to do what you can as far as D-management. Looking forward to keeping in touch in this ever-expanding online world we have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad you commented on my post today so i could find you! welcome, welcome, welcome! we are so happy to have you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for sharing this johanna! i know it must be hard to come to terms but i know this is a small blip in your health. you of all people can get past this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your story. Good for you for taking care of your health.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The DOC is wonderful isn't it? I'm Type 1 and my little sis is celiac so I have a pretty good idea of some of the challenges. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you opened the closet door and came out to meet other d-people.
    I'm looking forward to getting to know you!
    ps - used to live in Overland Park... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm a pre-diabetic and trying to be good but carbs, especially sweets are my downfall. It's a daily struggle. Though I used to exercise and loved it, it's harder now because I'm also post-polio and my muscles have deteriorated so I have little exercise tolerance. I wish I could go back and change some of my earlier habits that have now caught up with me.

    ReplyDelete