Monday, March 7, 2011

Supermarket Vegan


It's been nearly a year and a half since I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I remember wondering what I would be able to eat. It seemed as though everything I ate on a normal day contained gluten. I was lucky to find a local support group who helped me find my way into the world of gluten-free foods. I found some excellent blogs and began reading how others handled day-to-day life with Celiac. Over the last year I've phased out processed foods. I prefer eating foods that are naturally gluten-free: fruits, vegetables, some dairy, whole grains such as quinoa and millet and every now and then a little meat. I love collecting cookbooks and over the year I've gotten quite a few gluten-free ones. The problem is that most of them no longer meet my needs. They focus on baked goods using processed foods instead of whole foods. About two weeks ago I found the world of vegetarian and vegan bloggers and am finding all kinds of new things to try. This weekend I purchased what may turn out to be my favorite cookbook of the year Supermarket Vegan by Donna Klein. I've already earmarked several recipes to try. I like the fact that she focuses on foods which are easily found in the average grocery store. No runs to the health food store every week.

It's amazing how small changes added up over time can turn life in such a different direction.
What's your favorite cookbook?

6 comments:

  1. I have so many favorite cookbooks it is unreal. I find so many vegan recipes are naturally gluten-free because they are based on beans and vegetable and grains like quinoa, so I definitely need to check out this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog. i wish you lots of luck in your healthy quest. I see you're a librarian. I was a librarian for the 3-6 year olds where I used to live. I loved it! I just got a great cookbook out of the library you may enjoy. Good to the Grain, Baking with Whole Grain Flours by Kim Boyce. She uses barly, buckwheat, corn, kamut, oat, quinoa, rye, spelt flour and more. I'm not sure about gluten free, but I bet you'd find a lot there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gosh i am not sure what my favorite cookbook is but i am so glad you found one that is easy to use and uses whole ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cookbooks! My fav by far would have to be anything Rachel Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing your own experience, johanna!
    i am in total agreement: i've gone basically gluten-free the past couple weeks and feel SO MUCH BETTER. but i agree - the key is to go with whole foods, natural and unprocessed.
    so glad you are feeling positive results!
    i don't really have a fave cookbook for myself...i'm getting tons of ideas off of blogs, lately, and have been going with those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna Klein is my favorite cookbook author, hands down! I've been cooking a lot out of Supermarket Vegan this last week :) Incidentally, she has a gluten-free cookbook as well!

    ReplyDelete